About Semester / Quarter Systems :
I always got confused with these new terms "Fall" & "Spring". First, let me clear that for you all before we proceed. The nomenclature is based on the seasons in USA.
There are 4 seasons :
- Fall (~ September to November)
- Winter (~ December to February)
- Spring (~ March to May)
- Summer (~ June to August)
Some Universities in USA follow a Semester approach (1 semester = 6 months), and some follow a Quarter approach (1 quarter = 3 months).
For Semester approach :
- Fall Semester (Fall season + Winter season, ~ September to February)
- Spring Semester (Spring season + Summer season, ~ March to August)
For Quarter approach :
- Fall Quarter (Fall season, ~ September to November)
- Winter Quarter (Winter season, ~ December to February)
- Spring Quarter (Spring season, ~ March to May)
- Summer Quarter (Summer season, ~ June to August)
New admissions are made for "Fall" & "Spring" only, with "Fall" having more intake. "Spring" admissions are variable, sometimes they may have seats and sometimes they may not.
Application Process Flow :
There are very strict timelines that needs to be followed to be able to apply in time. Ideally the process begins about 15 months before the targeted semester.
For example, for students targeting Fall 2015 should ideally begin this process by April-2014. And for students targeting Spring 2016 should begin this process by October-2014.
Its always better to start early and spend enough time on your application. In case you are applying for a financial aid, it is very much advisable to send your applications early. Some Universities have a early deadline for students who are applying for financial aid, which is a few days to months before the normal deadline.